Thursday, August 23, 2007

The Near Death Experience




So today Cricket and I learned a good lesson of the laws of gravity. First, you must know 4 things about my cat. #1 Her favorite spot in the house is the 20 ft high ledge of our loft (much to our dismay) #2 She likes to sleep in her favorite spot #3 She twitches (borderline seizes) in her sleep #4 We had her declawed-we never knew to what extent that would bite us in the tushie


So she was in her spot asleep, while I was on the computer. I guess she was not having a pleasant dream, because all of a sudden I saw a flash of white out of the corner of my eye. I looked over to where she had previously been sleeping, and saw only front paws (useless in this situation without claws) and terrified eyes, and then they too disappeared. I heard a few crashes down below on the piano, then silence. I ran downstairs, but couldn't find her, so called Jared (by then I was hysterical). I found her a few minutes later, slinking around like she had just been caught drinking out of Jared's cup of milk (her favorite means of rebellion). Luckily she seems to be fine, with the exception of a sore back leg. She is walking like she is old and has arthritis, and she is very hesitant to leave solid ground. Hopefully, she has learned her lesson for good. For me and Jared, this experience has renewed our faith in Sir Isaac Newton's theory that "What goes up, must come down". However, I think when we teach this to our kids, the object lesson will include an apple or at least a parachute!


On a happier note, I got a JOB!!!! I will be working in the Special Education Department at an elementary school in Fairfield, CT. I will be working in a "cutting edge" program for children with autism. I am really excited, but not so much looking forward to the 45 minute commute and the early mornings. However, I think this experience will compliment what I have been studying for the past couple of years.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

So how's cricket? Did she learn her lesson?

How is work going? Hope you are enjoying it. Yesterday was your first day I believe, so I expect to hear about everything soon!!

Michael said...

that's some terrific humble cat.